I recently started working with a new PC and it did not have the TM1 Excel Perspectives add-in enabled and obviously I therefore did not have the TM1 Perspectives Ribbon included in Excel.
So I thought I would do a quick blog about how to enable it. What this does is then automatically add the Perspectives addin to Excel on your PC so that TM1 automatically opens each time you start Excel and the TM1 Perspectives Ribbon is automatically added to your Excel ribbon.
Just as a sideline for TM1 or Cognos Express 10.2.2, TM1 only works with 32 bit versions of Excel, so don’t even try to install the addin with a 64 bit version.
So, the steps:
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Go to File (or Home button in Excel 2007), Options (Excel Options in 2007)
- Select Add-ins from the Excel Options tab
- Check if IBM Cognos TM1 Perspectives is listed in the Active Application Add-ins section at the top of the list.
- If not, click on “Go” beside the Manage Excel Add-ins drop down.
- Click Browse
- Navigate to something like “c:\program files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin” (ie the bin folder inside the TM1 installation location).
- Select “tm1p.xla” and click OK
- On the available Add-Ins selection dialog box ensure that Perspectives is ticked and then click OK again.
- You should now see the TM1 ribbon available at the far right end of the Excel menu.
If you don’t want Perspectives to open each time you start Excel, just do a file, open and navigate to the same tm1p.xla file. Then use your Recent file list to open it when needed. Or alternatively, put a shortcut to tm1p.xla on your desktop and open that as required.